Battery Performance

Follow

Estimote Beacons are designed around a non-removable Panasonic® CR2450 or CR2477 battery in case of hardware revision 3.4. The ideal operating temperature is 23°C (73.4° F). At this temperature, the battery can operate up to 2 years in the case of Proximity Beacons and 5 years for Location Beacons. Stickers' battery life is up to 1 year.

Battery lifetime marginally reduced
60°C (140°F) - maximum temperature

Battery lifetime dramatically reduced
-10°C (14°F)

Please refer to Panasonic's Manganese Dioxide Lithium Coin Battery Specifications Sheet for detailed battery information and Preserve Battery life of your Beacons for battery conservation tips. 

Low Battery Level and Estimote Beacon Behavior
As the battery ages your Estimote Beacons will continue to operate as normal but as the battery level approaches a critically low threshold, the Bluetooth radio will begin to exhibit interrupted or truncated radio signals. Once this behavior is exhibited, the beacon will no longer be able to sustain radio presence and the device should be replaced or you may choose to disassemble the beacon and replace the battery, doing so will revive the hardware back to normal operation.

Monitor Battery Power
You can monitor the level using Estimote Demo app in connectivity mode.

Using Beacons Outdoors
Estimote beacons are water resistant and can be placed outdoors in otherwise adverse conditions. Battery longevity is affected by temperature fluctuations, as such, you should carefully review the necessity of deploying in particularly cold or hot environments. More information in article Can Beacons be placed outdoors?

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful

26 Comment(s)

Stefano Martino

I have received my package with three beacons - less than one month ago (max three weeks ago) - and the battery level was already half done for all of them.
    Two beacons were around 50% and another one around 37%.
    Today I checked again the batteries level and they are 39%, 41% and 35% which shows a relevant decrease.
    I'm using the beacons at home where the temperature moves in a range from 15°C to 20°C.
    I find very improper the fact I can't replace the battery without damage the beacons themselves.

Ola Puchta

Martino,

Some beacons we produced were not rebooted in the production process
    after software update. That caused high power consumption.

If this is a case feel free to open gently the beacon and replace the battery - it’s CR2045.
    More on 'What's inside an Estimote beacon': beekn.net/2013/11/whats-inside-an-estimote/

If you put put new battery the OS will be rebooted and the beacon will run for many many months.

Stefano Martino

Hi Ola,
    I'll monitor the batteries level for another week, then I'll replace the one is decreased the most.
    I'll try to open the beacon without destroy it. I'll let you know when the autopsy is done lol

Tnx,
    Stefano

Pablo Sanfrancisco

I just received my 2 dev kits today, and excited to syncing my app together with the actual units. Big surprise was that all of my units are low out of the box: 2@47%, 1@39%, 1@37% and 2@35%... That means that 2 of them will last at most 6 months (which I presume might be optimistic). Not too happy with this. So my only option is to disassemble (i.e. possibly destroy) these new units and buy new batteries for them to get something closer to 2 years??

Pablo Sanfrancisco

I disassembled one of the 35% ones as carefully as possible (lots of glue/silicone!) and it does more or less destroy the enclosure. The thin plastic backing where the sticky part is attached gets deformed out of shape, and the sticky material does come apart in places. I spent a good 30 minutes taking 1 apart, I reset the battery to see how it fares compared to the other 35% one which I am not touching at the moment. I would like to have a new set of enclosures (6) so I can quickly go through this process once the new batteries arrive.

Ola Puchta

Hi Pablo!

Would be best if contact me directly: ola@estimote.com and we can discuss your issue.

Thank you!

david sjunnesson

have had similar experience with low battery out of the box. Feel like I lost at least a year of use with this product... Especially since opening destroys the water seal.

Ola Puchta

David,

Please write to me: ola@estimote.com.
    Thanks!

Steve Mockensturm

Kind of not cool when the batteries are depleted right out of the box.

I've emailed you, Ola.

Alex Santos

Please note, if your batteries are hovering around 40-50% it might be a cosmetic issue and not indicative of a depleted battery. To further understand, the current firmware, version 1.9 probes battery level when the battery is being stressed when the radio is exercised. Version 1.8 has an offset that indicates battery levels at 100%, this too is incorrect. Note there are older version of firmware in the field.

Our hardware engineers are aware of this issue and are working on new firmware to address this issue. I apologize that it has been a point of contention. This being said, what Ola mentioned in regards to "beacons we produced were not rebooted in the production process after software update. That caused high power consumption." is accurate but isolated.

We expect our engineers to make the new firmware update available in February.

In the meantime we apologize but it's important you report the issue as you have here but I hope this information helps. If you believe your batteries are completely dead, please contact either myself, alex@estimote.com or Ola at ola@estimote.com so that we can help probe and isolate and resolve the issue for you.

Hidehiko Sakashita

I received my developer preview kit today (I had ordered one kit). In my case, the battery levels were 71%, 47%, 22%. I will contact you if they are dead. Thank you.

Wojtek Borowicz

Hi Hidehiko,

As Alex has mentioned above, in fact it is a cosmetic issue, and not an actual problem with the battery. Some users have encountered a software bug affecting the battery level measurements. Sorry for any trouble, but don't worry - the batteries in your Beacons are fine :) We're working to resolve this ASAP. If you still have any doubts, please contact me directly: wojtek[at]estimote.com or reach out to another one of our community managers.

Regards.

Matthew Jansick

I've had the beacons running for about a week and they are all, ALL dead now. How can that be?

Eric Zabinski

I ended up losing one of the estimote beacons because the battery went dead in only a couple of months and now I can find it. I should have put a StickNfind on it.

Wojtek Borowicz

Hi guys,

Did you change the settings for Broadcasting Power and Advertising Interval? Keep in mind that those have a great effect on the battery performance.

Cheers.

Ola Puchta

Mathhew, Eric,

Please shoot me a message at: ola at estimote.com.

Thanks!

Matthew Jansick

I have to apologize to the community. Turns out the battery issue I've been experiencing was related to the app and not the battery. I may have a new bug to report in another thread as there seems to be some issues with the beacon detection when certain other apps are running. But for now, my beacons are at 38% and opperating somewhat normally now.

Ola Puchta

Matthew,

Thank you so much for sharing this.

We're working on many things simultaneously and it's really important for us to hear about your experiences. Sometimes there are a few factors affecting the battery life and we should be able to determine all of them.

Please do make a thread about your findings!

Steve Ghee

Had my beacons for 6 months and all 3 just stopped transmitting. Is there any recommended way - any video instructions etc. - to get these apart without destroying them or cutting a finger off ?

Wojtek Borowicz

Hi there,

If you're using iOS 7.1, the try rebooting the iPhone - it might be an issue on iOS side, not the Beacons. If this doesn't help, the best and easiest way to cut the Beacon is a vertical cut across the top of the enclosure. Please drop me a line (wojtek[at]estimote) if you have any problem with that.

Cheers.

Sydney Low

Can we put the CR2477 battery in existing beacons that shipped with the older CR2450 battery?

Ula Kierwiak

Hi Sidney,

No, I'm afraid it's not possible. Old hardware is not compatible with the new kind of battery.

Wojtek Borowicz

Hi Sydney,

It's unadvised, because the battery holder in older beacons was designed for CR2450. CR2477 is significantly thicker, so you'd need to be really careful not to break the holder while inserting the bigger battery into an older beacon. But even with the CR2450 you can significantly boost battery life with power modes (more about them here: http://blog.estimote.com/post/91749152580/estimote-rolls-out-the-worlds-first-power-management)

Cheers.

Sydney Low

OK

Mahesh Mohan

I am having issue with beacon not detecting. I believe it's related to a dead battery since the last battery value is shown as 20%. Can anyone help me out?

Ula Kierwiak

Hi Mahesh,

Please check your inbox. I've just sent you an e-mail.

Estimote is
hiring!