Every Estimote Beacon ships with an unique ID that you are free to modify. By default, the beacon’s ID is in iBeacon format and consists of three values: UUID, Major, Minor. Beacons broadcast their iBeacon ID, which can then be recognized by mobile apps to trigger specific actions.
UUID is fixed, Major and Minor are randomized.
Default UUID: B9407F30-F5F8-466E-AFF9-25556B57FE6D
There are three ways to change the iBeacon ID:
- Estimote app
- Estimote Cloud
- Estimote SDK
It’s also possible to switch between iBeacon and Eddystone formats. When using Eddystone, a beacon is no longer broadcasting UUID, Major, and Minor values. They’re replaced either with Eddystone-UID (consisting of Namespace and Instance values) or Eddystone-URL (consisting of a URL address).
To better understand the difference between iBeacon and Eddystone, visit our Developer Portal.
Can I use the same ID on multiple beacons?
Yes, you can set the same combination of UUID, Major, and Minor on as many beacons as you want.
Changing iBeacon ID with the Estimote App
To change the iBeacon ID:
- Launch the Estimote app
- Open the Devices screen
- Log into your Estimote Account
- Choose the List view and tap on tap on a beacon you want to edit
- Go to 'Packets' and pick iBeacon
- Tap on UUID/Major/Minor and input the new value
- In the case of UUID, you can either manually input a new value or generate it through Estimote Cloud. Remember that if someone else has already claimed a specific UUID for their beacons, our collision detection system will prevent anyone else from using the same one. We explain it in more detail in the Can I claim a UUID for myself? article.
All changes will be automatically saved in Estimote Cloud.
Changing iBeacon ID with Estimote Cloud
How to change a beacon's ID using Estimote SDK?
You can also change iBeacon ID with Estimote SDK. Use the ESTBeaconConnection class to do that.
Switching to Eddystone
You can switch to Eddystone via the Estimote App, Estimote Cloud or programmatically, using the SDK. Read: