How to turn my iPhone into a Virtual Beacon?

Follow

Estimote iOS app allows you to turn one of your iOS devices into a Virtual Beacon that acts like a physical Estimote Beacon.

Virtual Beacon limitations:

• you cannot modify the range or other settings
  • UUID is fixed to 8492E75F-4FD6-469D-B132-043FE94921D8
  • Major and Minor values are randomized on first launch and then remain fixed
  • You can't use a virtual beacon with Estimote Indoor Location SDK.

Please note that only iOS devices can be turned into Virtual Beacons.

Is there a Virtual Sticker, too?

There is no Virtual Sticker feature in our app. However, Estimote SDK allows you to simulate nearable interactions in your own project. To learn how to do that, read:

I don’t have stickers yet. Can I start developing an app anyway?

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful

8 Comment(s)

Duncan Jones

Is there a way I can program the estimate ibeacons from your demo app, I don't want to start developing an app just yet

thanks

Wojtek Borowicz

Hi Duncan,

Our app allows you to adjust beacon's settings and use the sample demos, showcasing capabilities of our platform.

Cheers.

Saikrishna4477

Hi,
    I need the code to develop an ios app, Here, ios device need act as a virtual beacon like one device can transmit the signal and another device need to act as a signal emitor.
    So plz send me the code and SDK for virtual beacon.

Wojtek Borowicz

Hi Saikrishna,

You can find our SDK on GitHub, it's publicly available: https://github.com/Estimote

Cheers.

Saikrishna4477

Hi ,
    I need to know one thing,
    I have the code for "iOS devices can turn to beacon".but it emits only when the app is in foreground ,I need the sample for"" iOS device emits the signal in background also".
    Can u help me plzzzz

Wojtek Borowicz

Hi again,

Unfortunately, it's not possible: virtual beacon funcionality works only in the foreground.

Cheers.

Mihir Bellare

Hi Wojtek,

Im playing around with the Estimote API on Android and using the Estimote virtual beacon on my iPhone (as beacons are not available in India yet). How do I get the major/minor values of my virtual beacon? The onEnteredRegion method is not called for some reason.

beaconManager.startMonitoring(new Region("monitored region",
    "B9407F30-F5F8-466E-AFF9-25556B57FE6D", x, y))

Wojtek Borowicz

Hi Mihir,

You need a secon mobile device to read the Major/Minor values of the virtual beacon. Simply turn one iOS device into a beacon, and then launch Estimote app on the other device in range: the virtual beacon will be shown on the radar. You need to tap it, and then you'll see its Major/Minor.

Cheers.

Estimote is
hiring!