What’s Estimote Indoor Location?

Follow

Estimote Indoor Location is software for mapping indoor environments, that allows for location of people and objects down to few meters. With Indoor Location app and SDK, developers can easily set up interactive locations and incorporate them into apps.

Indoor Location is based on beacons and advanced data science for establishing position of users and objects. Precision depends on location shape and size.

Setting up your location

To start you need at least one Estimote Location Beacon per wall. It’s important to use Estimote Location Beacons - you cannot set up a location with  Estimote Proximity Beacons, Estimote Stickers or beacons from other vendors.

There are two ways to create a location with Estimote Indoor Location:

• with the app: good for testing and prototyping
  • with the SDK: good for building your own app

Read another article to learn about setting up a location:

How to set up a location?

Getting started with Indoor Location SDK

With the SDK, you can easily implement Indoor Location in your own app! The Indoor Location SDK enables you to:

• set up a location manually (you can draw a room with coordinates)
  • embed a built-in Location View - a map of your location with your current position marked on it - think Apple’s Map View, but for indoor!
  • the Location View is fully configurable - customize its appearance, show and hide labels or leave a trace of your movement
  • get raw positioning data - your coordinates (x, y) and orientation
  • save and load locations to and from Estimote Cloud

To get started visit Estimote Developer Portal.

Download Indoor Location SDK from GitHub.

Where can I use Estimote Indoor Location?

You can use it in retail to navigate your customer through shelves. In hospitals to guide doctors, patients and visitors. On airports, to show travelers to their gates: the possibilities are endless! Also, thanks to integration with nearables and the search for physical world, you can create a new layer of interactions with apps.

Read more about nearables and Indoor Location:

Does Indoor Location support Estimote Stickers? How does searching for nearables work?

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful

5 Comment(s)

Fabian Weyerstall

Do you use the Indoor Location Api from Apple with Location Points and Mapping to a Map or do you use Triangulation for positioning? Best Regards

Ula Kierwiak

Hi Fabian,

Our Data Scientists worked out a combination of different methods, but I'm afraid it's highly confidential. I'm sorry I can't help you more with that.

Asheesh Vashishtha

Hello there,

I had a question w.r.t using Indoor location SDK and your regular Estimote SDK. These two are separate SDKs with overlapping functionality? Do I have to use both in my app to take advantage of the indoor location feature or is there a plan to combine these in a single SDK? Thanks!

khushboo sharma

Hi,
    What is the best Indoor SDK or regular Estimote SDK?

Ula Kierwiak

Hi Khushboo,

It very much depends on your needs. If you want to build an Indoor Location system, you'd benefit most from using Indoor SDK. If you develop a regular context-aware app with beacons, our regular SDK should be enough.

Hi Asheesh,

Our SDKs were designed for completely other functions, so they don't have overlapping functionality and we don't expect to combine them. I hope it's not a big problem for your development process.

Estimote is
hiring!