Keep your beacons updated to enjoy all the new features which we add on a regular basis. Each update also brings performance improvements and security tweaks so you'll always want to have the latest firmware installed for the best experience.
You need beacons assigned to your Estimote Account in the Cloud (see: How to create Estimote Account) and a smartphone with Estimote iOS or Android app.
Here's how to update the firmware of your beacons:
- Open the ‘Configuration’ section in the Estimote app.
- Place a beacon close to your device and select it from the radar or list view. You might also want to shake it to connect (if Shake to Connect) is enabled or connect with NFC.
- You need to be logged into your Estimote account to perform an update
- Click on a `Firmware’ button on iOS (you should see a small icon next to the button which means that a new update is ready) or `Operating System’ on Android (down the list of settings).
- If there's a newer firmware available, you'll see the following screen:
Tap on "Update beacon OS to X.Y.Z" and an update will begin. Keep in mind it might take several beacons, make sure you keep the beacon right next to a phone at all times so that the update is not interrupted.
That's all, your beacons are up-to-date now!
Keep in mind that not all the generations of beacons update to the newest firmware version. If you're using e.g. the first-gen Proximity Beacons (D3.4), they won't be able to update any further than A3.2.0. If you want to take advantage of the newest firmware version (and many other features), consider buying the newest Proximity Beacons!