Stickers broadcast three advertising packets:
- Nearable every 1250 ms in motion, 2500 ms when still
- iBeacon (UUID, Major Minor) every 5 s
We built the Nearable format from the ground up. It allows us to transmit much more data in the packet itself, without a need to connect to the sticker.
Broadcasting iBeacon allows access to Apple’s Core Location-based features, like putting your app’s icon on the lock screen. But because the iBeacon packet is broadcast at long intervals, we advise against basing stickers interactions on iBeacon.
You can also set the sticker to broadcast iBeacon as a Primary packet and follow the monitoring flow used for beacons. Go to our Developer Portal to start.
Take a look at the list of information that we’ve fit into Nearable packet:
- unique sticker ID
- raw x, y, z accelerometer readings
- is the sticker in motion?
- for how long has the sticker been in motion?
- hardware version
- firmware version
- battery level
Other details are downloaded from Estimote Cloud:
- sticker type (e.g. dog or fridge)
Eddystone-URL allows to broadcast the link of your choice and make a sticker a part of Physical Web family. Read more about Eddystone and Physical Web here:
- Does Eddystone-URL (Physical Web) require an app?
- How to enable Eddystone on Beacons and Stickers?
- How to enable Physical Web in Chrome?
Note that at this time sticker ID cannot be changed. You can change the UUID, Major, and Minor when setting them to broadcast iBeacon packet. Learn more about changing stickers' settings in a separate article.